10 Design Tips to help you Create the Design you LOVE!
Over the last 20 years or so, I have moved, re-covered, painted, re-modeled, furniture and living spaces… With that said, I have learned a few things! So, I’m going to share with you the top 10 things that come to mind when I’m designing a space! Here we go…
- Do what you love! I have so many customers and clients that want to redo a space and the first question they ask me is, “What is in style?” In return; I ask them, “What do you love?” You have to live with what you choose, so make it something you love! Just because it is in style doesn’t mean it’s right?! I mean can you remember “Bubble suits”??? What was I thinking?!?!? LOL!!
- Go for comfort! I don’t know about you, but we LIVE in our space! So don’t settle for something that is sub-par or you really like the color and lines, but it’s not at all comfortable. Try out several different pieces before you purchase.
- Spend more money on your staple items such as your sofa, a rug, or bedding. These are items that are an investment. Then you can spend less on things that you might tire of easily such as pillows and throws.
- It’s totally okay to mix styles! I’ll say that again, it’s totally okay to mix styles!!! I mean who is going to come to your home and tell you “You can’t do that!”? The style police? Ha! That is part of the fun of design work, if you like it, go with it! One of my favs is mixing Mid Century Modern pieces with very traditional pieces!
- Lamps! Lamps! Lamps!!! If you didn’t understand, use LAMPS! They are such great pieces that make a home look “lived in”. Lamps also set the right “tone” in any room, as well as giving you additional lighting.
See you soon,